Tips to avoid Freezing Pipes
Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem
Water has a unique property in that it expands as it freezes. This expansion puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including metal or plastic pipes. No matter the "strength" of a container, expanding water can cause pipes to break. Pipes that freeze most frequently are those that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, and water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation are also subject to freezing.
If your pipes do freeze and cause damage to your home or business, STAY CALM AND CALL SERVPRO, we can make it "Like it never even happened.®"
During a freeze, Take Preventative Action
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
To Thaw Frozen Pipes
- If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, suspect a frozen pipe. Likely places for frozen pipes include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen area begins to melt, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water. Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
· Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too
Restoring Commercial Property after a water damage event
Our crew is ready and qualified for all your commercial cleaning needs.
Flooding and water damage events in Roanoke commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a small water cleanup or a large scale water event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budget. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue & productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Roanoke specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained and certified in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
4 Signs you may have a mold problem
Mold remediation. Mold is a "growing" problem!
Have you experienced unexplained symptoms? Mold could be the culprit. These signs can help you identify a mold problem. Early detection of mold can save you money and trouble before it becomes a much bigger, more dangerous problem.
1. Mold Symptoms
Mold in your home can cause symptoms such as:
- Sore eyes
- Itchy skin
- Runny or blocked nose
- Sore throat
- Trouble sleeping
Often people do not realize these symptoms can be casued by mold in your home. You might shrug it off as a cold. If your symptoms decrease when you leave your home, this could be a sign of a mold problem within your home.
2. Mold Smell
Have you noticed a moldy smell in an area of your home? The worse the smell of mold, the more likely it means mold could be growing near that area. Mold could also lie in your HVAC, air conditioner or heater.
3. Seeing Mold
Sometimes mold is in your face, and you don't realize it. Even a small amount of mold means there is enough moisture for mold to grow. More mold could be lurking in your home.
Condensation can create moisture problems because the water from condensation can build up. Condensation often occurs on cold surfaces, like windows and metal pipes. If you often see condensation, it could be a sign of a moisture problem, and perhaps a mold problem. Humidity levels above 60% can lead to mold growth. Keeping your home's humidity level between 30% and 60% is generally recommended.
Always have a plan!
SERVPRO of Roanoke specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost. Our teams are trained and qualified to assist you in any disaster.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit the Roanoke Valley, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today SERVPRO of Roanoke 540-389-5818
Smoke & Soot Damage
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Roanoke will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Roanoke 540-389-5818
Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Roanoke for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Roanoke specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Roanoke 540-389-5818
Does the Roanoke Valley have a mold problem?
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –SERVPRO of Roanoke 540-389-5818
Did this happen to you?
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - SERVPRO of Roanoke
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Roanoke has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of of Roanoke
SERVPRO of Roanoke specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Stop the fire BEFORE it happens
Flame Stop prevents the spread of flames
Before you send your child off to college, make sure you are complying with the safety regulations. The campus usually requires documentation of flame retardant materials.
“Curtains, draperies, wall hangings, blankets, banners and other decorative materials suspended from wall, closets, or other vertical surfaces must be flame resistant or noncombustible. Proof of flame resistance may be requested during a fire inspection”
"2016 Virginia Tech Division of Student Affairs; Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code; Fire & Safety Regulations for Residents ©"
Flame Stop is a water-based fire retardant coating for most synthetic and natural fibers, and is particularly recommended for the treatment of drapes, upholstery, fabrics, paper, rugs, carpets, mattress covers, bedspreads and most porous decorative materials. Flame Stop is a pyrolytic formulation that prevents the spread of flame by developing a self-extinguishing reaction.
Please call- 540-389-5818 for a free estimate
When Storms or Floods hit the Roanoke or New River Valley SERVPRO is ready!
Spring & Summer storms!
SERVPRO of Roanoke, Montgomery & Pulaski Counties specialize in Storm or Flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to pre-storm condition, "Like it never even happened".
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A faster response lessens the damage, limits further damage and reduces the restoration cost.
RESOURCES TO HANDLE FLOODS & STORMS
When storms hit our area we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1650 franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
If you are faced with storm or flood damage, call us today!
SERVPRO of Roanoke, Montgomery & Pulaski Co. 540-389-5818
FASTER TO ANY SIZE DISASTER!