Heating Source Safety
Tips to help prevent fires in your home or office from heating sources:
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
- Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- All heaters need space. Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating equipment.
- Plug space heaters directly into outlets. Never use a power strip or extension cord.
- When using fuel burning heaters, use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide and smoke alarms inside your home and business. Test alarms monthly.
- Remember to turn off portable heaters before leaving the room or going to bed.
- When using a wood-burning fireplace, make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to help prevent sparks from flying into the room. Spent fireplace ashes should be cool before removing and putting them into a metal container. The container should be stored away from your home or business.
Safety tips provided by National Fire Prevention Association