Know The Fire Facts
October is Fire Prevention Month, so it is the perfect time for you to start getting educated on all things fire prevention related! Below are facts provided by the National Fire Protection Association to help get the word out on how dangerous, common, and preventable home fire damages can be!
- S. fire departments respond to an average of one home fire every 86 seconds.
- Between 2011 and 2015, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 358,500 home structure fires per year. These fires caused 12,300 civilian injuries, 2,510 civilian deaths, and $6.7 billion in direct damage.
- On average, seven people per day die in U.S. home fires.
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home-fire injuries.
- For decades, smoking has been the leading cause of home-fire deaths.
- Heating equipment was involved in one in every five home-fire deaths.