Holiday Fire Safety Tips
Follow these simple safety tips, to reduce the fire risk to your home or buisiness this holiday season:
1. Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least 3 feet away from heat sources.
2. Purchase flame retardant metallic or artificial trees. If purchasing a live tree, water regularly.
3. Make sure light strings or other decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords.
4. Unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed.
5. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
6. Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over.
7. Keep flammable items away from stove top - oven mitts, pot holders, wooden utensils, etc.
8. Designate one person to walk around your home to make sure that all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
9. Smoke alarms save lives. Install smoke alarms near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Test smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries at least once a year.